Log in

30 November 2012 @ 06:03 pm
What the heck, Carilion?!  
2006: My mom goes to the emergency room with a racing heart and high blood pressure that made her pass out. After a month or so of tests they discover the problem was a hyperactive adrenal gland. A prescription is administered to put of leash on said adrenals.

Today: This morning a letter from Carilion arrives. Thinking it was a note on a change in their practices, it was opened and crap hit the floor. It was a notice alright. But a legal notice to the tune of "due to an outstanding balance, on 07/25/06 we have been granted a default judgement by the General District Court". They are going after her for the balance due of $3508.16 which they want in full within 15 days from now. Or else may attach a lien on the real estate we live on (and any attached properties on it) which might have already been filed with a Circuit Court, garnish her income, or who knows what. >_>

Now here's a question. Why wait 6 years to tell her this?

One thing is certain, this is really going to HURT. And it will be spread around everyone in the family with an income. Is anyone able to help?
Tags: ,
Current Mood: irateirate
Tim Miller: Tonberryshachihoko on December 1st, 2012 02:12 pm (UTC)
First, go through the paperwork - dating all the way back to 2006; I hope you still have it - and see if there's anything which looks like a bill to your mother or the rest of your family for the prescription (or the hospital bill generally). For that matter, make sure that her insurance bill has been paid up consistently every month/quarter/however often since 2006.

If she was never addressed as liable for the cost of the prescription, then my suspicion is that Carilion is pulling this out of their corporate ass and needs to get kicked in it hard.

Also make sure whether or not there was any prior communication about this at all. 2006, 2012, any time in between.

And whatever you find in the paperwork, methinks you're going to want to talk to a lawyer who deals with insurance and/or financial stuff. My expertise in this kind of thing is strictly limited to layman's knowledge, and possibly not even that much. You need a genuine expert, and the clock is so heavily against you that it's not funny; at the very least, hopefully a good lawyer will know how to buy you some time.
aerozaineaerozaine on December 2nd, 2012 01:00 am (UTC)

I don't have that much just laying around, I'm sorry. Your best option would be if someone could get a loan?